Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Book Haul (#7)



In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.
Each post shows a list of books that were bought/borrowed/received for reviews for this week.
It's always fun to see what other people are talking about and what's coming out soon!
I've decided to call my weekly round-up My Book Haul due to the fact that many times these books don't come from my mailbox, but other areas. =)

This week's haul comes from quite a few places! One from the Brooklyn Book Festival, another from the bookstore, one from a friend and the rest looked interesting in "the box" so I grabbed them. 






To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story
Casey and Steven met in Morocco, moved to China then went all the way to Timbuktu. This illustrated travel memoir tells the story of their first two years out of college spent teaching English, making friends across language barriers, researching, painting, and learning to be themselves wherever they are. (via goodreads)

The Night Circus
"Opens at Nightfall; Closes at Dawn." The Le Cirque des RĂªves is a circus unlike any other, just as this magical debut novel is equally unique. At the center of The Night Circus spectacle are two specially gifted young magicians, Celia and Marco, pitted against each other in professional competition, drawn towards one another in love. Erin Morgenstern's literary fantasy has already drawn raves for its captivating evocativeness: "A world of almost unbearable beauty.... A love story on a grand scale: it creates, it destroys, it ultimately transcends." "A novel so magical that there is no escaping its spell... If you choose to read just one novel this year, this is it." (via goodreads)

The Last Olympian
All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of a victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows. While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time. In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.  (via goodreads)

The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet
Hamlet Kennedy just wants to be your average, happy, vanilla eighth grader. But with Shakespearean scholar parents who dress in Elizabethan regalia and generally go about in public as if it were the sixteenth century, that's not terribly easy. It gets worse when they decide that Hamlet's genius sevenyear- old sister will attend middle school with her - and even worse when the Shakespeare project is announced and her sister is named the new math tutor. By the time an in-class recitation reveals that our heroine is an extraordinary Shakespearean actress, Hamlet can no longer hide from the fact that she - like her family - is anything but average. In a novel every bit as funny as her debut, Erin Dionne has created another eighth grader whose situation is utterly unique - but whose foibles and farces will resound with every girl currently suffering through middle school. (via goodreads)

Here Lies Arthur
Gwynna is just a girl who is forced to run when her village is attacked and burns to the ground. To her horror, she is discovered in the wood. But it is Myrddin the bard who has found her, a traveler and spinner of tales. He agrees to protect Gwynna if she will agree to be bound in service to him. Gwynna is frightened but intrigued-and says yes-for this Myrddin serves the young, rough, and powerful Arthur. In the course of their travels, Myrddin transforms Gwynna into the mysterious Lady of the Lake, a boy warrior, and a spy. It is part of a plot to transform Arthur from the leader of (con't) (con'd from summary) a ragtag war band into King Arthur, the greatest hero of all time. If Gwynna and Myrrdin's trickery is discovered, what will become of Gwynna? Worse, what will become of Arthur? Only the endless battling, the mighty belief of men, and the sheer cunning of one remarkable girl will tell. (via goodreads)

The Death Collector
What starts as an ordinary pick-pocketing incident in Victorian London unites three teens against a madman. Eddie is the pickpocket; George is an assistant at the British Museum; Elizabeth has a nose for trouble—and all of them are being hunted by Augustus Lorimore. Lorimore is a sinister factory owner, a villain bent on reanimating the dead, both humans and dinosaurs—and one of each is already terrorizing the streets of London. It’s up to Eddie, George, and Elizabeth to stop Lorimore’s monsters . . . or die trying. (via goodreads




25 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, you should really check into the Charley Davidson series. Those books are quite wonderful!

    Goldilox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED The Night Circus! It was so beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my IMM, I really want to read The Night Circus.
    I really like the sound of The Death Collector

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of these books before, but Rick Riordan has good books. Enjoy them all! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read The Night Circus! The hold list at the library is daunting though lol. And the Percy Jackson series is on my tbr lost, it sounds awesome. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got The Night Circus last week but haven't read it yet. I'm trying to get to it before Erin comes to town. Nice pile!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Night Circus sounds interesting! Great haul.

    Check out my IMM:
    http://seeitorreadit.blogspot.com/2011/10/in-my-mailbox-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WANT THE NIGHT CIRCUS *stamps feet in the manor of a 3yo's tantrum* Happy reading, Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone is talking about The Night Circus -- It must be good. =)

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i got the night circus too. it looks like a fantastic week for you. enjoy and happy reading :)

    Check out our IMM this week.

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read The Night Circus really bad!!! I'm totally jealous you got it!! New Follower :)

    Tristyn~

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH! Enjoy the Night Circus, it's supposed to be amazing.
    Jessica @ I Read to Relax

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Last Olympian is sooo good! I loved it so much :). And I can't wait to read The Night Circus, it looks fab. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute does The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet look? That's a new one to me.
    Everyone seems to be getting The Night Circus this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for stopping by my blog! I got night circus last week and I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet sound funny! :D And I really want to read Night Circus, it sounds fascinating! :D

    I hope you enjoy your books from this week! Thanks for stopping by at my IMM, and Happy Reading!
    Ambur :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I loved the Last Olympian. I found it was the best of the series! Enjoy!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads
    P.S. I've also got a new giveaway on my blog for Remembrance if you want to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great haul this week! I've only heard of The Night Circus, but Here Lies Arthur sounds really good, I love anything Arthurian! Happy reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I had gone to the Brooklyn Book Festival now, but it seemed no one else was, so I never requested off! :( I loved loved LOVED THE NIGHT CIRCUS and hope you will, too! I really want to read ...HAMLET and ...ARTHUR at some point. I'm excited for SON OF NEPTUNE!!!

    I hope the 99 cent books are good and that you like them (and that I do, too!). But at 99 cents (and b/c they're fairy tales), they were worth a blind buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH, the Night Circus! That's so on my TBR as soon as I get my hands on a copy! And I seriously want to read ToTal Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet now. That synopsis sounds amazing.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and happy reading to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love a bit of mythology and there's nothing quite like some Rick Riordan to satisfy that! I haven't heard of Here Lies Arthur but it's definitely going to get investigated...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so looking forward to finishing the Percy Jackson series. These are all very interesting pick-ups and I hope you enjoy them!

    ~ Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great books! Night circus looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard absolutely amazing things about Night Circus but I haven't read it yet. Great haul -- happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoy all your books - Night Circus looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete