Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa




My name is Meghan Chase.
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who’s sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I’m not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back. 

This is a review of the third book in The Iron Fey series. If you have not read The Iron King and The Iron Daughter then this review will be quite spoiler-filled.

She’s defeated the Iron King, she’s returned the Scepter to the Winter Court; exiled, Meghan is finally on her way home for some deserved rest. Or so she thinks.

The action starts right away; Iron Fey are waiting at Meghan’s home, the False King is hunting her and Meghan realises that the only way she and her family would ever be safe would mean stopping the False King once and for all.

The story revisits familiar places and and we see a lot of familiar faces, from Grimalkin, the cait sith to Leanansidhe, the Exile Queen. One of the many great things about this novel is the continued character development. There was more time to explore each of the main characters and some of the supporting characters. Ash’s warmth seeped through his icy mask. Puck’s goofiness couldn’t hide his cunning and Meghan stepped up to her birthright, her spunkiness morphing into a steady and brave leader. Grimalkin remained the same sardonic character as always, showing a dash of affection for his companions.

I liked the pacing of the story; while action-packed it isn’t overwhelming. There was enough mystery and romance splashed in the dangerous journey to keep me intrigued and entertained. I’ve always loved the series for its faery tale, so I was happy that Julie was able to explore Meghan and Ash’s relationship without making it the center of the story.

I figured out part of the ending, still, I thought Julie was able to put together a brilliant conclusion. I’m definitely looking forward to its continuation.



No comments:

Post a Comment