Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Top Ten Books Read in 2011 - So Far



I'm participating in the Top Ten Tuesday meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week is a freebie, so I get to create my top ten of anything!  So, I've decided that I'll be post my top ten books of 2011 - that I've read so far. I've only read 41 books to date, but, while it's not a wide universe, I'm hoping that it gives you some books to look into - if you haven't read them before. 
  1. Goliath by Scott Westerfeld. 
    I do believe that Scott Westerfeld is a genius. I am always in awe of his storytelling and world building and well, anything he's put on paper. I flew through his Goliath book this past weekend. I couldn't help myself. It was just that awesome. I can't wait for it to be released, I'll be first in line to buy it!
    Goliath is the last in the Leviathan trilogy, which is a retelling of WW1.
     
  2. Between by Jessica Warman
    It's been two months since I've read this book and I'm still haunted by the story. Jessica Warman did a WONDERFUL job with it.
     
  3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 
    I know that many people found death's narrative a bit grating, but I absolutely loved this story. I don't think any other book has made me cried as much as this book has this year. So many times I had to stop reading because I was on the train and didn't want to be that girl, crying in the corner. Great storytelling!
     
  4. White Cat by Holly Black
    I've been a Holly Black fan for the longest while and consider her a faery lore guru. While White Cat isn't about faeries but crime, Holly still spins a lovely tale. I couldn't put it down!
     
  5. Shine by Lauren Myracle
    This book is all kinds of awesome. I don't know where to begin. I think Lauren achieved perfect balance in the telling of this heartbreaking tale.
     
  6. Witch Song by Amber Argyle
    Debut author Amber Argyle's alternate universe comes to life through the pages. I loved this tale and can't wait to see it in the bookstores so that I can put it on my bookshelves!
     
  7. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
    I probably wouldn't have read this story if it wasn't for YASaves. After reading it, I couldn't understand why I wouldn't have read it in the first place. Heart-wrenching, but worth the read. This story is still with me today.
     
  8. 12 Little Blue Envelopes (and subsequently The Last Little Blue Envelope) by Maureen Johnson
    After reading the Little Blue Envelopes books my desire to travel increased exponentially. I want to live in Paris for a month, to go to London, to visit Edinburgh and trek all over Ireland. Also, I have a yearning for scavenger hunts and letter writing.
     
  9. Warped by Maurissa Guibord 
    I haven't heard much of this story this year, but I thought it was great! Love story, historical fiction, mystery ... all of this wrapped into an awesome book! Why aren't you reading it now?
     
  10. The Iron King (and Iron Daughter) by Julie Kagawa
    The Iron Fey series has been fast becoming one of my favourite series. I just love the world that Julie Kagawa builds. I'm in the middle of reading the Iron Queen. I can't wait to see where this series takes me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment