Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking




Seventeen-year-old Alice Bonham’s life feels out of control after she meets Jack. With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave hits aside, Jack’s unlike anyone she’s ever met.
Then she meets his brother, Peter. His eyes pierce through her, and she can barely breathe when he’s around. Even though he can’t stand the sight of her, she’s drawn to him.
But falling for two very different guys isn’t even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood… 


I bought this book because I appreciate Amanda’s stories. I like her plots and admire the fact that she publishes all on her own. However, since a certain vampire series I’ve had a hard time reading vampire books. To be frank, I can’t blame that series alone, I read a few more series after that one and I don’t know if it’s the lore, but of all the vampire books I’ve read only one wasn’t sissy. Ok, I digress … 
My Blood Approves is not like the other vampire books I’ve read, it has an interesting storyline, but my cynicism to this genre has clouded my views. Here are a few things I did not like about this book: 
  • From the description of the book we know that Jack is a vampire. Yet, the protagonist does not learn this until the book was over 50% complete. As a reader who already knows what’s going to happen it’s a bit frustrating to spend half of the book waiting for the lead to figure this out.
  • There were a few instances of telling instead of showing, and a few things we were told that didn’t seem necessary to move the story along. I think a good editor would have helped in minimizing those a bit. 
On the other hand, there are a few things I loved about the book:
  • The idea that your heart feels one way while your being feels another way is interesting and I’m curious to see how this is resolved. 
  • I like that the idea of being a vampire isn’t glamourous, that there are consequences. 
So overall this was a good book, but I think it had greater potential. I’m probably going to read the rest of the series, however, this is my last vampire series for the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment