Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Jenny Pox by J. L. Bryan




Jenny has a secret. Her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague. And she can’t turn it off.
She devotes her life to avoiding contact with people, until her senior year of high school, when she meets the one boy she can touch, and falls in love.
But there’s a problem—he’s under the spell of his devious girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.
Now Jenny must learn to use the “Jenny pox” she’s fought so long to suppress, or else be destroyed by Ashleigh’s ruthless plans.


J. L. Bryan is self published. I came across his book through Amanda Hockingwho promotes it from time to time. This novel contains a few things that might offend. First, Ashleigh plays a good little Christian girl and uses the religion to manipulate people to follow her will - which is the absolute opposite of what being a Christian is, so for those who might find this offensive this book is not recommended. 
Next it contains a lot of drug use and sexual scenes. These are used throughout the book either as an escape or a way to manipulate people. It also contains a few more things that I don’t want to get into for fear of giving the story away. The idea though is to be warned, this book might offend you. 
I’m not easily offended and was able to enjoy the book, however, there are a few things that I didn’t like. I loved the story itself, but it seemed to have taken a long time to wrap things up and I wasn’t a fan of the sudden twist in the end. It might have been better if we had those elements intertwined as the narrative unfolded. I also didn’t like the casual use of drugs, I might have missed something but it didn’t seem necessary to advance the plot. Finally, the initial relationship between Jenny and Seth seemed underdeveloped, I kept wondering why his interest suddenly shifted, there seemed no reason for the change.
Putting all these aside, I truly enjoyed the story and I am looking forward to the sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment