Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Children of the Lost Moon by Gabrielle Blue







Seventeen-year-old Savannah Henderson has but one dream - to hold the Olympic gold in saber fencing. A new fencing coach promises to make her Olympic dream a reality. However, he is not what he seems and she finds her life taking a bizarre, dangerous turn as she is thrust headlong into a war between two impossible, mythical species, one bent on destroying the human race, the other determined to protect it. 


The Children of the Lost Moon is a self published book written by two sisters under the alias Gabrielle Blue. 
I really wanted to love this story, it had a lot of elements that I enjoy, but in the end, I felt as though something was missing. 
There’s a gutsy heroine, a strong hero, a fantastical love story and slew of characters that you want to fall in love with. I couldn’t however, because of the continual reminders that pointed me back to a certain vampire novel.
Narrative-wise, there were a few consistency issues - a name swapped here and there; and a few grammatical issues - I’m not a Grammar Fairy so if I spotted them then Grammar Fairies might cringe. 
The main characters were well developed, however, the romance seemed to happen suddenly and out of nowhere. I couldn’t appreciate the pairing as much since more time was not vested in the building of the relationship and their love for each other seemed to depend on the initial attraction. 
I would have liked to see a little more explanation in the resolution of the story. It seemed a lot of time passed between the last chapter and the epilogue and for a moment I thought I was missing a chunk of story. I am hoping that the next book touches on the missing pieces.
Overall I think there is an audience for this story, if you’re a fan of that popular vampire novel then you will like this as it has similar elements. However, if you’re not a fan, you might not appreciate it as much.

[review copy from author]

No comments:

Post a Comment